The organizers mentioned they thought-about an in-person occasion for 2021 however determined to go along with a digital present as an alternative.
Because of the ongoing impression of COVID-19, the organizers of the Recreation Builders Convention have introduced main modifications to how the occasion will happen this 12 months.
GM Katie Stern mentioned in a blog post that there proceed to be “many unknowns” on the planet because it pertains to the virus, however the group is intent on pushing ahead to carry GDC this 12 months.
“Our targets are largely the identical: offering assets and nice content material in addition to networking and dialogue platforms to attach the business. However the brand new constraints round in-person gatherings and journey additionally introduced creativity, and we now have been in a position to develop new codecs, and new methods to supply content material and neighborhood help all year long,” Stern mentioned.
With that in thoughts, this 12 months’s event–which is the thirty fifth anniversary of the show–will be unfold throughout a “household” of GDC occasions.
These will every “ship high-quality, curated content material in additional versatile and accessible methods on-line, in addition to designing occasions that play to the strengths of digital conferences, together with extra fluid networking and matchmaking alternatives.”
Attendees can anticipate lots of what they had been already getting from the in-persons hows, together with “deep dives for specialised areas” of the gaming business and “distinctive showcases” that can discover “well timed matters” throughout themes. There will even be a “curated convention program,” whereas the occasion’s awards exhibits are nonetheless going forward.
“We’re very excited to convey the sport improvement neighborhood this considerate set of experiences, content material and providers that we hope will improve our business, assist share learnings, create connections, and encourage nice video games,” Stern mentioned.
The GDC 2021 schedule will probably be as follows:
- GDC Masterclass (March 4-5) — It will encompass one- and two-day digital workshops that can “ship in-depth, hands-on coaching round among the most necessary challenges dealing with sport builders in the present day.” In line with Stern, GDC has recruited “among the sharpest minds” in gaming for these lessons.
- GDC Showcase (March 15-19) — This can be a free, all-digital occasion that can embrace highlight lectures, AMAs, and interactive panels with builders.
- GDC 2021 (July 19-23) — That is the standard GDC expertise, working for per week, however it is going to be digital this 12 months as an alternative of going down at its regular residence in San Francisco. “We did take into account an in-person part this 12 months, [but] we now have determined that it is extra necessary that our audio system, attendees, and sponsors be capable of plan forward, to proceed to be as secure as doable, and to spend our consideration on delivering the very best GDC,” Stern mentioned.
- Impartial Video games Pageant and Recreation Builders Alternative Awards (July 21) — That is the annual awards present that celebrates the video games of the previous 12 months. It will likely be streamed by way of the official GDC Twitch channel.
- Extra — Stern mentioned the staff is planning extra GDC-branded occasions for the second half of 2021, and these will probably be introduced later.
GDC isn’t the one massive gaming present to vary plans for 2021 as a result of virus. The organizers of E3 have additionally confirmed that this 12 months’s present will probably be “transformed,” however we’re nonetheless ready to seek out out precisely what which means.